Customer reactions to Apple Pay launch in UAE
Educate Customers about Apple Pay
- Although awareness, is reasonably good about the launch of Apple Pay in UAE, majority lack knowledge about it (is like a black box to them).
- It is very important to educate about Apple – How it works; Why to use Apple Pay; How it is better than other mode of payments; Where can this be used, etc.
Reassure on Security & Privacy
- Security and privacy are major concerns amongst customers. These concerns would largely be a reflection of their concerns with mobile/digital payments. Banks, Payment card stakeholders must work together to address these concerns for a higher take up.
- Banks, Payment card companies can conduct BTL activities in malls/shopping stores to educate people about it in an engaging manner
- Targeted campaigns with offers/promotions to register and use Apple Pay would help
- Some banks are already making such offers (25% discount on first 5 transactions, AED 100 for the first transaction, etc) – this is encouraging. (some details for reference below)
Banks have to scale up their communication in order to get better traction on Apple Pay.
|SCB||Standard Chartered with Apple Pay. Easy pay. Easy go.||Get upto 25% cashback on your first 5 transactions|
|HSBC||Wakeup call. Bought with Apple Pay.||Get 10% cashback upto AED 100 OR 10 times Air Miles upto 15000 Miles (3 or more purchases)|
|Emirates Islamic||Ahlan apple Pay. The easy way to pay now available with the leading Islamic bank||Add your EI card to Apple Pay and get AED 100 on your first usage|
|ENBD||Say Hello to seamless payments with Apple Pay||None so far|
|RAK Bank||Introducing RAKBANK with Apple Pay. The Simply Better way to pay||None so far|
|Mashreq||Mashreq with Apple Pay. Easy payments made possible.||None so far|